an information officer for the Office of the Mayor, you have been assigned the responsibility to write a short report for the city council describing the key provisions of a piece of U.S. law that has ramifications for your city. It outlines what the nation’s current social policy is in a specific policy area and therefore, affects people who live in this jurisdiction. Your report needs to provide the mayor and the city council members with an overview and it should respond to the questions below.
This assignment allows you to choose a piece of legislation from the list below that is of particular interest to you:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
- The Equal Opportunity Act
- The Fair Housing Act
- Immigration and Nationality Act
- USA Patriot Act
- Homeland Security Act
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- Select one of the above pieces of legislation.
- Address the following in 2–4 pages:
- What is the name of the law, and when was it enacted? Identify and describe it.
- Has this law been amended since its enactment? Explain.
- What was the intended purpose of the law when it was enacted?
- Have those purposes changed because of any amendments and if so, in what ways?
- What are the main topics covered in the law? Explain.
- What are the key provisions of the law? Explain.
- What are your conclusions about what interests are served by this law for the promotion of the welfare of people in U.S. society in general?
- Include in your conclusion any ideas you have about how this law could impact your city and therefore, how it is relevant to the city council members.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.